Level 3 Award in First Aid Response
The Level 3 Award in First Aid Response is designed to support learners in gaining a more comprehensive understanding of first aid along with an understanding of how important medical/environmental intelligence is when dealing with a range of casualties.
In line with industry guidance, the qualification supports/approves first aiders for a period of 3 years, at which point learners will need to re-sit the course, however the recommendation is that learners refresh their knowledge annually.
The qualification is made up of 3 mandatory units. Further details can be found at the end of this document:
1. First Aid at Work
2. Medical Intelligence and Environmental Awareness
3. Understand the Correct use of an Automated External Defibrillator
How long will it take me to achieve this qualification?
This qualification must be delivered over 4 days (32 GLH’s). However, flexibility on either a block booking, 2 days a week, 1 day for 4 weeks, etc.
How is the qualification assessed?
The qualification is internally assessed by the following two methods and supported by HABC developed assessment material. If you wish to use your own assessment material, this must be approved prior to use:
- On-course assessment: This component of the assessment will involve learners demonstrating knowledge, understanding and practical first-aid skills throughout the duration of the course. This meets the qualification criteria contained within units 1 and 3.
- Distance study/assessment: The distance study element involves learners carrying out research into the area of medical intelligence and environmental awareness supporting first aid provision. This meets the qualification criteria contained within unit 2.
Learners wishing to achieve the qualification must successfully achieve both of the above components to the required standard.
This qualification lasts for a period of 3 years, after which point learners will need to retake the course. In addition to this it is also recommended that learners refresh their knowledge annually.
Learners achieving this qualification may also go on to take other specialist first aid qualifications, such as:
- Level 3 Award in Paediatric First Aid (QCF)
- Level 3 Award in First Aid at Work (QCF)
- Level 2 Award in Emergency First Aid at Work (QCF)
- Level 2 Award in Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Automated External Defibrillation (QCF)
Learners are required to be over 16 years of age prior to registration for the qualification.